Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Introduction

Why this blog?

First of all, I like to spend time fiddling with random settings and configurations with Linux and other software tools. Eventually I get something working out of it (and sometimes nothing to show but wasted hours). The lessons I learn and undocumented details I solve, I never share back to the community. For example, I usually don't reply on Internet forums when I find the solution to someones problem. The primary factor was that I never really put time into it.

I have various conversations with friends on what I am struggling with and what did to solve it. They eventually convinced me to publish the knowledge I gain or just random nuggets of information I discovered. To me I guess that it is fair, karma would agree that I shouldgive back to the community that I have been using and taking for granted for far too long.

Now to finally answer the main question at hand, why? I guess it is to pass on information that might help someone, or that someone might find interesting. I wouldn't expect too much activity out of this blog though, as I am intending to put stuff I find interesting or relevant (which is a niche field I would say). I also do not want to spend too much time maintaining the blog.

What is Coming Soon

Over the next week I plan on releasing a few posts about Software Project Management and Collaboration. Specifically related to the project management tool Redmine and distributed source control system Mercurial.

No comments:

Post a Comment